Sunday, April 15, 2012

option hawk recommendtion

Options Hawk Recommendations:

A subscriber asked for me to put this together and figured it could be useful to everyone.

These are my recommendations for education enhancement and just a list of some of the resources I use daily. I may be leaving some out, but these are the ones that came to mind, as it is just a natural daily routine at this point.

Trading Books:

Jeff Augen ("Trading Options at Expiration", The Volatility Edge", "Day Trading Options")

McMillan ("Options as a Strategic Investment" - Top Starting Book)

Kahn ("Technical Analysis: Plain and Simple")

Shannon ("Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes")

Sinclair ("Options Trading: Pricing and Volatility Strategies and Techniques")

DeMark ("DeMark on Day Trading Options")

Ron Ianieri ("Volatility Effect: Trade Options Like a Professional...")

Schwager ("Market Wizards")

Websites: A List of Options Related Websites and Educational Online Resources can be Found on My Site Here, and other trading Related Websites and Resources Here

Daily Resources:

· ThinkorSwim Trading Platform: Prophet Charts and TOS Charts for Technical Analysis, Analyze Function to Diagram Strategy P/L, etc., Multiple Watchlist Broken by Industry, Top Optionable Liquid Names, and Top 2,000 Stocks, Alerts,

· Google Reader for RSS Feeds: I use this for most of my news with the Business Wire PR Directly Fed Through Here, as Well as Useful Sites from Around the Net (WSJ, Business Week, FT, Barrons, DealBook, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, NY Post/Times, DigiTimes, Seattle Post, Houston Chronicle, Etc.). The daily news/chatter is from my trading contacts passing information via AOL Instant Messages. (TradetheNews, Briefing, Street Insider, Street Account, FlyontheWall are the most popular wire services, and in that order for best to worst, but I do not use any of those services)

· FinViz: Prefer to Use FinViz for Screening (Fundamental and Technical Screens) as Well as HeatMaps, and a ton of other resources offered on that site, a must-use in my opinion

· Custom Option Scans: The scans provided on the Member Page at the Bottom are a Key Resource in Finding Much of the Day's Unusual Activity. I also use the LiveVolPro program where I have set up many custom scans and also scan for trades coming through my watchlist. Bloomberg, if you have access, also has plenty of great functions to breakdown options activity.

· Analyzing, Portfolio Tracking, Strategy Screeners, Etc.: I use Optionistics.com for some of their resources, although usually just at night doing scans. This site (http://www.avasaram.com/) also has some useful strategy screeners for free. There are also some free Option Rankers here (http://www.optionetics.com/market/rankers/default.asp?freeRanker=yhhrankperc)

· Street Events: Used for Earnings Dates, Conference Dates, Analyst Meetings, Conf. Calls, Etc.

Using the Resources I Created for Members:

Hawk's Hot Stocks: A portfolio of what I feel are the best value/growth names, broken into market cap size with some additional notes. I have some basic entry/exit levels and if the market corrects these are some of the first names to be buying, also if a name on this list is hit on news, it is a likely buy the dip play. I also included links to some names I see as potential takeover targets.

Options Watch Spreadsheet: This sheet can be very helpful for idea generation with the bullish/bearish options activity broken into the months where the trades hit, and also a sheet with the larger option blocks. A simple Control + F search and you can search by Month or Ticker to find some large option blocks likely still in open interest where you know there is a large trade, and possibly worth jumping on-board. I also have a basic list of the most liquid names broken into industries for easy decision making if a particular sector/industry is getting hot/cold. Furthermore I have included a Tracking Sheet for some of the better looking action that we did not follow, but it shows how those positions are performing, so there will be a chance to join at a better price, or even if the position is up and holding, still a chance to trade alongside the smart money.

No comments:

Post a Comment